Handicrafts and textile handicrafts have become popular in the world community for its unique style and variety. Mainly, people are prone to use handicrafts to reduce environmental pollution with eco-friendly products. In the last few years, Bangladeshi industrialists have learned that many sustainable raw materials in our country can produce recyclable household products. After that, they start finding the root and cultural attachment of handicrafts in rural areas of Bangladesh. Surprisingly they found a huge potentiality in this sector for the world ecosystem as well as the economy. And now, after completing the demand of the whole country, it is spreading all around the world. Handicraft business owners keep a vital role in exporting the product.
Handicraft is a native culture. That’s why people show great importance to producing handicrafts. Having the different types of designs and styles has turned into an attractive sector. The analysis of SWOT over handicraft products is positive based on global business, the challenge of work, gaps, pricing, and so on. Bangladesh is an overpopulated and developing country where you can find a sound environment for handicraft or textile business. New employees are also adding rapidly to having so many opportunities. With the technical skills and ready raw materials, Bangladesh is doing better in this sector.
Unemployment was a curse for us, but now that is not existing after opening this RMG and Handicraft. In Bangladesh, handicrafts were first launched in 1970, and in 1980 it was accepted in the market. Before 1990, the handicraft market was slow, but now it has become a larger earning sector of our country.
Though Bangladesh is a small country, its culture is large. Rangpur, Rajshahi, Kushtia, Narayanganj, and Dhaka are the major location for practicing this cultural craft. Our traditional and cultural items are block printing, embroideries, handloom textile, etc. Different private sectors have come forward to develop handicrafts. Of having the facilities, some people take this as their culture. With their skills and latest technology, handicraft leads Bangladesh as well as other countries. Handicraft is not regarded as the highest investment sector in Bangladesh. Having great human resources makes it possible to get the designers at a low cost. As a result, lots of entrepreneurs feel comfortable doing business with handicrafts.
An Overview of the Handicraft Sector:
Handicraft is a big sector in Bangladesh. In getting more opportunities, men and women show much interest in this sector. In the rural area in Bangladesh, women are involved greatly. However, both men and women work hand to hand to improve handicraft. Here we represent some important points over handicrafts.
Nature and Structure of the Industry.
In the past, handicrafts are practicing in a small area. At that time, 10-30 people are working in rural areas in Bangladesh. But right now, people work hand to hand to develop this sector. Some designers use traditional techniques without using special tools. However, this number is more than three million from the potential sectors of textile, wood, leather, jute product, cane, bamboo, and straw. These people produce handmade products, about 20% of total production. These handicrafts play a vital role in the domestic supply and exporters. Here we represent some industries that work to improve these handicrafts.
- NGO supportive product house (Non-exporters)
- Non-Government Organization (NGO) exporters of Handicrafts. (Eg. Arong)
- Small private manufacturers (Non-exporters, e.g., Naksha, Rang, Nabarupa, etc.)
- Private manufacturers /exporters. (Eg. Various jute good manufacturers)
Flashback of Bangladeshi Handicraft Industry:
Bangladeshi handicrafts primarily come to the market after 1970. In 1980, handicrafts were accepted in the market. At an early age of handicraft, it was a slow growth of Bangladesh. In 2000 and later, it was slow sales based on poor quality and unattractive design.
At present, people are more conscious about the environment, that is why they love to use environment-friendly products. However, handicraft product ensures 100% environmentally friendly. Right now, people avoid artificial products and accept handicrafts. After 2010, it increases handicraft product sales. With the new tools and techniques, Bangladeshi handicraft designers produce the latest and most stylish products. At present, the market for handicrafts is well-developed.
Different Types of Handicrafts and Their Specifications:
Straw is regarded as the RAW and natural material. The handicraft designers use a straw for making different types of handicrafts. These kinds of materials are made from the date leaf of rice. They use a straw for making mats, hats, handbags, sculptures, brooms, kitchen items, etc. People are involved greatly in this sector. To complete the demand of our country, we export straw-based handicrafts.
Seagrass is a significant item for making handicrafts. The RAW materials are collected from the seagrass plant. Bangladesh is doing better on seagrass-based handicrafts. These kinds of products are attractive. Now it has become a tradition to use seagrass-related handicrafts. We normally see the wall basket, handbasket, nursery items, kitchen items, and others. You can use these products to increase the attractiveness of your room. Now this kind of handicraft has a great demand in the foreign countries.
Rug and Mat PPT:
We use a rug and mat ppt on the floor. This floor mat is popular for its comfort. Handicraft designers use different types of items like rope, fabric, cotton, yarn, etc, for making rugs and mat ppt. They have a great demand in our country as well as abroad.
Jute Basket and Bag:
Jute baskets and bags are popular items in our country and worldwide. All people use jute bags and baskets for their style and comfort. Jute basket is from the jute fiber. This fiber is available in Bangladesh. Handicraft designers now produce colorful and stylish bags and basket items. It has a great market in our country as well as the foreign country.
Strength of Our handicraft:
The mentioning feature of SWOT indicates the determination of handicraft business. Here we present some points about the potency of the handicraft:
- It offers large product items as well as a variety of cultures.
- The industry is useful by variety and helpful retail infrastructure throughout the country.
- It offers services in different markets (textile, handicraft, jewelry) based on a diverse product range.
- Generally, we are blessed with huge natural resources.
- It indicates cheap investments.
- It is our potential source of earning.
- It drives away the unemployment problem.
- You will find fewer barriers to conducting the business.
- Low investment with better profit.
Impediments for Growth:
At present, people are entering this sector importantly. That is why it has become a competitive sector. Here we represent the weakness of doing handicraft business.
- Industry fails for infrastructure and communication utilities.
- The impediment to producing a large number of items.
- It can fail from the updated rules and regulations.
- It can face problems from finance, and it can impact taking effective technology.
- Design and pattern are the keys to the handicraft business. The poor quality raw material is another barrier to the industry’s growth.
- It is not easy to get skilled handicraft designers.
- Handicraft designers are mostly rural-based. And it is not so easy to change their accommodation. That is why; it is an important barrier to industry growth.
- The gap between the government and private sector is based on rules and regulations.
- Miss information for the recent market level.
- Industry miss to give the offer to the handicraft designers
Opportunity Of Bangladeshi Handicrafts:
The handicraft business brings more revenue for both the handicraft designers and the country. However, we represent some opportunities:
- Get a better profit from the developed countries like UK, Japan, USA, Canada, France, India, Germany and like other.
- It plays a role in the fashion industry.
- At a low price, it is easy to use for all classes of people.
- Developing the international tourism and domestic sectors.
- Internet and e-commerce are emerged ad promissory distribution channels to market to sell the handicraft.
- A potential source for acquiring foreign revenue.
- By having cheap human resources, it is easy to hire.
- People are related to the variety of designs and styles.
- Our culture and quality of jute fiber have a great demand in the world.
Warning for Our Handicraft Sector:
The following warnings for our Handicraft business are:
- The handicraft business faces the problem of standard pricing, design, and quality.
- Handicraft designers face the problem of the adaptability of modern machines.
- Sometimes challenging countries benefit from trade terms.
- The competing countries offer better technical support and R and D ability than other countries.
- High-quality products are from Pakistan, India, China, etc.
- Using polyester, acrylic, nylon, and other artificial items because problem like they reduce our cost.
- Manufactured products also compete with our products, which is a great barrier for our handicraft.
What is the Prospect for the Future?
Although Bangladesh has received a good profit from textile handicrafts, this sector is not rotten. As competing countries are also increasing rapidly, we should launch new designs with the help of modern tools. Even we should study handicrafts.
However, BANGLACRAFT, EPB, and ECOTA are associations that survey handicraft development and its prospect. These associations offer strong evidence about handicrafts in Bangladesh. Near future, Bangladeshi handicrafts will establish a great international market. They appear that the principal market of our handicraft products is housewares, gifts, home decoration products, personal accessories, and toys.
In Bangladesh, handicrafts are run by our technical persons. They produce the products with their skill where there is no need for an engineer. In the rural area in our country, men and women work to produce handicrafts. Even some young and lean people have also been involved in this sector. As a result, handicraft plays an important role in reducing the unemployment problem in Bangladesh.
Handicrafts exports increase our foreign revenue. They use eco-friendly RAW material, which is accepted in other countries. Right now, handicraft designers have launched some attractive products that increase remittance flow. Although we face some barriers to some manufactured products, it is not eternal. As handicraft is our pride and wealth, government and energetic entrepreneurs should come forward to establish its development.